For all patients:
- No solid food after midnight
For a.m. surgical patients:
- NPO after midnight (nothing to eat or drink)
For p.m. surgical patients:
- May have clear liquids listed (water, apple juice, cranberry juice, or Gatorade) until 6 hours prior to surgery, then NPO.
- Do not take oral hypoglycemic medications.
- Check Blood Sugar in AM @ home.
- Take 1⁄2 insulin dose if blood sugar over 120.
- Hold insulin if blood sugar is less than 120 or as directed by the anesthesiologist.
- Bring insulin to Center with you.
- Recheck blood sugar upon admission.